Archive for the 'refactoring' Category

MyChores domain model diagram

Monday, April 13th, 2009

If you’ve ever wondered how MyChores all works behind the scenes, here’s a little diagram to explain it:
MyChores domain model diagram
I have spent the Easter weekend working very hard on a new version of MyChores. I’m tidying up the code significantly, and implementing a few nice tweaks along the way. I have freshened up the [...]

Resetting forgotten passwords

Monday, January 19th, 2009

I apologise to anybody who couldn’t log in recently due to the reset password functionality being broken. It is now fixed.
I am slowly going through the code bit by bit, tidying things up. Now that i’ve started, i’m finding more and more that i want to refactor. I know the importance and value of writing [...]

Code improvements, slight performance improvements

Friday, January 16th, 2009

Tonight has been a productive night. I have started on some of the code optimisations that i’ve been waiting since September to get around to!
Some of it has been about reducing and reusing code, for consistency and for ease of writing and maintaining the codebase. Some of it has been about optimising to reduce the [...]

Filter by team members

Saturday, January 10th, 2009

We have a new functionality for people who are in teams with two or more people: filter by member.
This was suggested and implemented by Derek, who wanted the functionality to help oversee what other team members had to do.
You’ll find the new option in the filter menu at the bottom of the workload page.

The more [...]

Branch and merge

Monday, December 1st, 2008

I do apologise, i’ll get over this soon … but for now, wow, this is so exciting!

The diagram starts at the bottom and works upwards. It shows how i branched off to work on the Capistrano changes, and Mat did some work tidying up the post-to-Twitter code.
Where you see remotes/origin/master, that’s the current state of [...]

Fantastic news!

Sunday, November 30th, 2008

MyChores has just received its first public contribution!
Matthew Saddler reduces the describe_recurrence method by 2KB!
This is great news. There is a lot of code like this. It works, but it’s bulky and ugly and crying out for refactoring. Thank you very much for this improvement, Mat! :D

Tiny weeny improvements

Sunday, November 23rd, 2008

Today i have taken some enormous steps and made some tiny fixes!
I have installed Cucumber and begun writing some tests. That’s one enormous step! I have also opened a MyChores account on Lighthouse for bug tracking. I am hoping that Exceptional will automatically open tickets for me. When MyChores goes open-source, as i definitely intend [...]